Thursday, August 14, 2014

CASA Spotlight- Bryan Blakely

We are excited to announce that Bryan Blakely is our CASA spotlight of the week. We asked Bryan a little bit about his experience as a CASA and a few questions that let us get to know a little more about him. Here is what Bryan had to say:

Why did you become a CASA?
became a CASA because I have two young daughters of my own and love them more than anything in the world. I love children and cannot believe the horrible things some children have to go through. Once my girls got to be 6 and 8, I figured I finally had some time to help less fortunate children. I had heard of the organization because my mother was a CASA up in Larimer County.

How long have you been a CASA for?  How many cases have you taken?
I have been a CASA since February 2013. I am on my second case. The first had three kids, 6, 7, 9 (two boys and a girl). Now I have one 16 year old boy.

Favorite CASA story or moment?
My favorite CASA story... So many great times and hilarious adventures. Losing happy meal toys onto roof tops, rescuing stuffed animals from major streets (quite safely), skate tricks at the skate park, basketball at the swimming pool, etc... But I guess what sticks out most, because it's how we closed out all of our visits with my first 3 kiddos, I would say. On the way home, in my truck, music turned way up, singing along to Run-DMC or Grand Master Flash - or some other old school hip-hop over and over and over again. It was wild fun and plus they got a little 'history of hip-hop' lesson!

Favorite quote?
"We see what we want to believe"

Who is the most influential person in your life?  
My wife

Favorite Children’s book?
Favorite Children's Book... As a kid I loved anything by Shel Silverstein or Mercer Mayer, especially "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-zoo." As a parent, I have especially loved reading to my girls my favorites plus all the Mo Willems books, the Chronicles of Narnia; The Harry Potter Series... the list goes on.


When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
As a child, when I grew up I wanted to be an undersea explorer. Actually, I really wanted to be Jaque Cousteau. As in literally BE him. I was pretty obsessed with his National Geographic show. Eventually I realized that I needed to tone down my ambition a bit and not try to literally be him, but maybe just be an explorer.  

We are lucky to be able to add Bryan to our long list of amazing and life-changing CASA volunteers! Thanks for all that you have done for so many people, Bryan, and we know that your list of those you help will just keep getting longer!



No comments:

Post a Comment