Thursday, June 19, 2014

CASA Spotlight- Mara Lynn

This week we are featuring Mara Lynn as our CASA spotlight of the week. We are so thrilled to introduce Mara, and her experience as a CASA.  Mara has had an amazing impact on advocates for children, and we are so happy to have her on our team. Thank you Mara for all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated!

1.) Why did you become a CASA?
I became a CASA because I wanted to volunteer in a meaningful way.  Abused and neglected children need as much help as they can get, so I decided to volunteer with Advocates4Children.

2.) How long have you been a CASA for? How many cases have you taken?
I have been a CASA for just over 9 months.  My training was in the summer of 2013 and I received my first case in September of 2013.The case I have now is the only case I have taken so far (2 little girls).

3.) Favorite CASA story or moment?
Around Christmas time, one of my CASA kiddos who had just turned 3 years old read me the book of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”.  She looked at the pictures and told me what was happening in the story, which was her own story based on the pictures.  She told me about a big dinner and the mama saying “we can’t eat till we say our prayers”, in addition to the little girl who could not sleep because she was thirsty.  It was very touching to me to interpret the pages from an innocent 3 year old mindset.

4.) Favorite quote?
“Do the best you can until you know better, then when you know better, do better”. –Maya Angelou

5.) Who is the most influential person in your life?
The most influential person in my life is my Grandma.  She has always been kind and caring to me and she tells me how proud she is of my accomplishments every time I talk to her.  She encourages me and goes out of her way to make me feel comfortable.  I completely respect her position as she has been on this earth for 84 years and has become very wise.

6.) Favorite Children’s book?
My favorite Children’s book is Where the Wild Things Are.

7.) When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a child thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up, I wanted to be an FBI Special Agent.  I am a Project Manager now and those childhood dreams still linger in my mind


Thank you for all that you have done for so many people, Mara, and we know that you will continue to make a positive influence on many more individuals! Thank you Mara for all your hard work!




No comments:

Post a Comment