Monday, May 19, 2014

CASA Spotlight- Shondra Ray

We are excited to announce that Shondra Ray is our CASA spotlight of the week. Shondra has done an amazing job, and has truly been a positive force in each of her cases. We asked Shondra a little bit about her experience as a CASA and a few questions that let us get to know a little more about her. Here is what Shondra had to say:

Why did you become a CASA?
1.   I became a CASA because it was my answer from God. After surviving 4 brain surgeries and a host of other medical challenges, I continuously asked God "what was my purpose for being here". I believe in my heart and was always taught that we MUST care for our elderly, young and those who are unable to care for themselves.  After much prayer over many months, I received an email from Jaime Weibel regarding an upcoming training session with Advocates for Children to become a CASA. Two years prior, Advocates for Children had set up a recruitment booth at my church, CCC.  I feel our children are caught up in these unfortunate situations by no fault of their own and they so deserve to have a VOICE and someone to be THERE just for THEM and their BEST interests.        

How long have you been a CASA for?  How many cases have you taken?
2.   I have been a CASA now for only 15 months but it feels like so much longer because finally I've found what truly brings me happiness. I have had two cases. 

Favorite CASA story or moment? 
3.  The day I met Mario, my current case.

Favorite quote? 
4.   Philippians 4:13: "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"

Who is the most influential person in your life?
5. My mother has definitely been the most influential person in my life. I lost my mom on May 20, 2010 as I lay recovering from my 2nd  brain surgery and although she has “changed addresses”; her spirit, words of wisdom, and encouragement through the years continues to remain with me. I continue to be inspired everyday by what my Dear Mother has taught me.

Favorite Children’s book?
6.   "You Are Special" by Max Lucado.

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
7. I wanted to be a lawyer when I grew up.


We are lucky to be able to add Shondra to our long list of amazing and life-changing CASA
volunteers! Thanks for all that you have done for so many people, Shondra,  and we know that you will continue to make a positive influence on many more individuals!





No comments:

Post a Comment