Friday, June 27, 2014

CASA Spotlight- Donna Rood


This week we have the honor of featuring are truly spectacular CASA, Donna Rood. She has done such an amazing job, since her start in 2007.We are so thankful to have her, and appreciate all the work she has done for this organization. Thank you Donna for everything you have and continue to do!

Why did I become a CASA?
I knew that children have been neglected and abused for a long time.  However, I was shocked to see how many needed CASAs and we're able to monitor their well-being and make life more enjoyable for them.  Being a child should be a wonderful experience, and should be lived happily, not in fear.  I realize too, that this will probably be a life-long relationship.  

How long have I been a CASA?
I was appointed as a CASA in November 2007.

How many cases have I had?
I've had one case ... my first.  I began with a family of 5 children.  After completing the course of study, I was offered a couple of options, but I knew that taking on 5 children would be difficult to fill.  So I gathered up my courage and took it on.  What a blessing it has been.  Over the course of my time with them, some have become adopted, others are in the process of being adopted, and some will never be adopted.   It's been wonderful watching them grow over the years.

My favorite CASA story?
There have been so many fun stories, but the one that touched my heart was when the children had been unsuccessfully placed with a family member out of state, and they were sent back into the system here in Colorado.  The caseworker told me that I was the first person they asked to see.  It's been fulfilling to see all of them finally succeed in school and in life situations as they grow older.  It hasn't been easy, but I knew that deep down they really wanted to do well.  One of my goals is to keep the siblings in contact with each other and thus far, it has been successful.  They look forward to their time together since they're all in different locations.

Favorite quote?
Has to be from Mother Teresa; a woman of great understanding and endless love of everyone.
"Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love".

Most influential person?
The most influential people in my life would probably have to be my parents. As I was raising my own children, so often my parent’s words came out of my mouth.  It's a common thought that as you grow older, you realize that your parents really did know more, and they were most of the time right. I want my CASA kiddos to have the same good values when they become parents, and stop the cycle of neglect and abuse.

Favorite children's book?
Has to be "The Little Engine That Could'.  I had this book as a child, my children had this book, and now my grandsons have this book.

What did I want to be when I grew up?
Teaching was my favorite game to play.  Although, I did not get become a teacher, I have been able to reach children in varying situations ... religious education, homework, and talking to my kiddos about ordinary life situations that they have questions about.  I never thought I would end up as an accountant.

Anything else you would like us to know? 
I'm flattered that CASA would like to 'spotlight' me.  Being a CASA has now become just a part of my life - my extended family.  We talk about successes and shortcomings just like a parent would to their own child.  They know they can tell me anything, and I praise them for their successes and try resolving shortcomings.


Thank you for everything you have done for Advocates for Children. We are so grateful to have you. Thank you Donna for all your hard work!





No comments:

Post a Comment