Friday, March 13, 2015

CASA Spotlight- Leigh Ann Nicas

This week we are excited to announce Leigh Ann Nicas as our CASA spotlight of the week. Leigh Ann has gone above and beyond on each of her cases, making an amazing impact on everybody involved! We are so lucky to have Leigh Ann as a volunteer and cannot thank her enough for all the hard work she has done for this organization. Thank you Leigh Ann for everything you have and continue to do!

Here is what Leigh Ann had to say about her experience as a CASA:

- Why did you become a CASA?
A partner in the law firm where I managed the public relations was a CASA and introduced me to the program.  After hearing how he stayed in the life of a young man who grew up in foster care, I knew that I would be a CASA one day when I could devote the time.  I remain a CASA because I feel strongly that these kids need a voice as they move through the system and they need someone telling them that they matter and have purpose.

- How long have you been a CASA for?
I became a CASA in 2011.

How many cases have you taken?
I am on my third case because my first lasted several years.  Each case has had multiple siblings, and they are all unique.

Favorite CASA story or moment?
There have been so many.  My first case was my most difficult.  The younger sibling was placed in a home where he now has a shot at having a productive life full of family involvement.  Seeing a life restored is very rewarding.  The older sibling’s story has not turned out as well yet, but I’m hopeful.  Before my first CASA gal who was about to turn 16 ran from placement, I was able to tell her how much I felt she has a future, that she matters and has a purpose.  I was able to tell her that she is loved.  Even though she ran away and the courts eventually closed her case, I know she heard words of hope that expressed her value.  I trust someday she’ll remember that.

Favorite quote?
Bumper sticker: “Miracles Happen.”

Who is the most influential person in your life?
Besides my faith in Christ, my husband is the one who I turn to the most.  He’s hugely influential in my life.

Favorite Children’s book?
The children’s book I kept (and still have) is a short book called The Hole which was loved mostly because my dad gave it to me specifically – not for all of my siblings – just me.  It’s loved because it was gift from loving dad.

- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Originally I wanted to be an artist, writer and actress.  I got to do all three in my career in public relations!


Thank you for everything you have done for Advocates for Children. We are so grateful to have you. Thank you Leigh Ann for all your hard work!


No comments:

Post a Comment