Thursday, November 20, 2014

CASA Spotlight: Sally Mattix

We are excited to announce that Sally Mattix is our CASA spotlight of the week. We asked Sally a little bit about her experience as a CASA and also asked a couple questions that let us get to know a little more about her. Sally continues to have an impact on each of her cases, making each of her relationships a memorable one. Sally has done an outstanding job for Advocates for Children, and we have been so grateful to have her. We would just like to thank Sally for all the hard work she has done for our organization. Thank you Sally for all your hard work!

1.      Why did you become a CASA?
I had been impressed with this program for years, but lacked the time. My daughter never spoke, so I had to be her advocate. After she had died in 2008, I had a longing to help other kids who could speak, but had no voice in their unfortunate circumstances.

2.      How long have you been a CASA? How many cases have you taken?
I have been a CASA for 3 years. I have had two cases. My first case had 7 siblings on it and my last case had two brothers.

3.      Favorite CASA story or moment?
My favorite CASA moment was when the two boys on my last case had asked me how long I would be their CASA and if I would be their CASA even after they were out of foster care. I then asked them how long they wanted a CASA? Their answer was forever. They were reunited with their mom this summer. Mom is a true success story, and I'm still their CASA.

4.      Favorite quote?
“We are not defined by our problems --everyone has problems. We are defined by our solutions.”
- (A thought I live by, but don't know who first articulated this)

5.      Who is the most influential person in your life?
My daughter was and still is the most influential person in my life. My daughter had a unique view of what was important in life, all the priceless things.

6.      Favorite Children’s book?
My favorite Children’s book is Winnie the Pooh by: A.A. Milne. The original book is so clever and beautiful. 

7.      When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Since the time I was in 5th grade, I always wanted to be a writer. As a print journalist I was able to live that dream.

We are lucky to be able to add Sally to our long list of amazing and life-changing CASA volunteers! Thanks for all that you have done for so many people, Sally, and we know that your list of those you help will just keep getting longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment