Friday, September 19, 2014

CASA Spotlight- Judy Kaplan

I hope you all are having a wonderful Friday. What better way to end your Friday than with a CASA Spotlight of the week! This week we get the pleasure of announcing our wonderful CASA Judy Kaplan. Judy has been a huge asset to this organization and we are so grateful for all the work she continues to do for us! Thank you Judy for all the hard work you have done for Advocates for Children, we are so lucky to have you!

1.  Why did you become a CASA?
I became a CASA because I truly wanted to make a difference in a child's life.  After a long career in education, I also missed the daily interactions that I had with my students.  Becoming a CASA seemed to be a great way to fill that void.  Not only does my CASA position do that for me, but hopefully, along the way, I have been able to help and support my CASA children, as they encounter the complicated foster care and court systems. 

2.  How long have you been a CASA?
I have been a CASA for a year and a half. 

3.  How many cases have you taken?
I have had only one case.  I started with a 16 year old girl and about half way through the case, I became CASA to her 12 year old brother. 

4.  Favorite CASA story or moment?
My favorite moment was when my case closed and the children's grandmother was given permanent custody of the children!  It was my happiest moment in court and the satisfaction that came from finally seeing closure to a long and complicated case was overwhelming. 

5.  Favorite quote:
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."    
-Steve Prefontaine

6.  Who is the most influential person in your life?
My father was the most influential person in my life. 

7.   Favorite children's book:
My favorite book as a child was "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
My favorite children's book now is "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. 

8.  When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to be a teacher!


We are lucky to be able to add Judy to our long list of amazing and life-changing CASA volunteers! Thanks for all that you have done for so many people, Judy, and we know that you will continue to make a positive influence on many more individuals!


No comments:

Post a Comment