Wednesday, April 30, 2014

CASA Spotlight- Kaci Taylor

We are excited to announce that Kaci Taylor is our CASA spotlight of the week. We asked Kaci a little bit about her experience as a CASA and a few questions that let us get to know a little more about her. Here is what Kaci had to say:

How long have you been a CASA for?  How many cases have you taken?
1.      I have been a CASA for almost four amazing years and have been the CASA on four cases: one teen, two "little’s," and one awesome family of siblings across the age gambit! I think these kids have touched my life far more than I have been able to touch theirs.  


Why did you become a CASA?
2.      I became a CASA because I spent a lot of my childhood and youth bouncing from family member to family member because my father was severely mentally ill and unable to properly care for a child. Once I felt like I could be a supportive member of the community for children experiencing trauma, abuse, and neglect, I knew being a CASA was going to be a fabulous way to show kids that they are not lost or forgotten or unimportant, and my goal is to show each of my CASA kids that their lives, goals, and dreams are important, that they mean something. 

Favorite CASA story or moment?

3.      By far, my favorite CASA moment has been when a six year old girl came up to me in her foster home and asked me for "a big bear hug." I picked her up, hugged her, and spun her around before setting her back down, and she patted my arm and told her foster mom "this lady knows how to give a real hug to a kid." 

Favorite quote?

4.      My favorite quote is by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: "If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find, in each person's story, enough suffering and sorrow to disarm all hostilities." 

Who is the most influential person in your life?
5.      The most influential person in my life was probably my high school Resource Officer. She taught me that it is okay to carry burdens in life as long as, every once in a while, we put down our loads and breathe. 

Favorite Children’s book?
6.      My favorite children's book is definitely Where the Wild Things Are. I think I reread that over a thousand times growing up and plan on rereading it a thousand more when I have children (and, maybe, before then, too). 

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
7.      When I was little, I wanted to be a prosecuting attorney for the British Crown. Now that I've grown up a little, I am studying human services and trauma intervention with the hopes of working with teens exposed to violence.

     We are lucky to be able to add Kaci to our long list of amazing and life-changing CASA volunteers! Thanks for all that you have done for so many people, Kaci, and we know that your list of those you help will just keep getting longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment